Saturday, August 29, 2009

Garden Project



So first up, an explanation of this page: I'm taking Jessica Sprague's "Beautiful Evidence" class right now. It's a 20 page album and right now we are in the "me" chapter. Each page starts out as a complete layered template from Jessica and unless you change things up, you add the suggested pages from the included kit and then just plug in your own photos. I like the way she did things, so I'm not bothering to change much of anything (except the shade of green on this page, it didn't match!). I LOVE that I have the 20 templates to use again and again. For those of you who aren't digi (yet, evil laughter): It's like a Becky Higgins/FLeck/whoever sketch on STEROIDS:) Oh, and the pictures here are mostly from 2006.

Ok, on to our garden. The original 9 (!) cubic yards of mulch has almost long since disintegrated, disappeared, composted, whatevered, so I had 4 cubic yards (still "!") delivered on Friday. Michael (and me too) loved watching the dump truck dump it on our driveway and talked about it all day to anyone who would listen, including the teachers and other moms at school when we picked up Christopher that afternoon, lol.

Normally the grass is Jeff's domain and the flowers mine (and each of us is firmly convinced he/she has the worst end of the deal), but Jeff kindly agreed to help with the backbreaking work. He hauled the majority, I spread the majority, and I'd say we're more than halfway done. Just the center section of our huge garden area in the backyard, the smaller close-to-the-house section of the backyard, and the very small west side yard left to do. I also got a ton of weeding and a bit of trimming (hoping for a normal, not early frost!) done today. Already have the waste management called to come get the yard waste on Monday. Whew!

For anyone left reading: Any ideas on rabbit-proof fencing? I'd like an absolutely rabbit-proof fence around my huge garden to the north of my house. The bunnies like my burning bushes (although they are larger now and not quite as tempting), basil, lianthus, and "miniature hollyhocks" and will kill them if I'm not careful. Jeff is not really keen on the idea of having to put in such an expanse of fence so I'm thinking I might hire it done either this fall or next spring. If I could REALLY rabbit-proof it, I could grow lettuces/spring mix and save a bundle of money, plus have petunias (which I adore but cannot grow except in a pot b/c they won't last 12 hours with the damn bunnies) again!

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Your flowers photos are great! Sounds like you got a ton of work done today.

Those wasskly wabbits are a PITA. I don't think anything gets rid of them. Daisy doesn't scare them off?

Judy said...

We had to put up chicken wire around our garden to keep the rabbits out and that has worked wonderfully. It's not all the expensive and it's low enough I can walk over it so we didn't have to put in a gate like we had to with the higher fencing. Love your flower photos.

Michelle said...

You left a comment on my blog about sales for Nitwit Collections. I would be happy to post notifications of future sales - so strange you don't get her newsletters! And BTW, I love your blog - all of your layouts are wonderful! :)
-Michelle (aka uinthas around the digiscrap world)

Janet said...

Oh, those bunnies...it's amazing how destructive they can be! I've tried putting cat fur out around plants and it works. You might try dog fur leftover from a grooming session. ;-)

I love the page! Such pretty flowers!