Thursday, July 24, 2008

A very sad end to a long weekend...


(layout from 2003)

I was busier than I ever have been at Fast Track on Saturday. There was no lull
from the moment I got there at 11:00am until the time I finally finished my last
chart at midnight (FT closes at 9pm or whenever we finish the last patient, then
I have to finish charts). We had more patients in FT, at least per provider,
than they did in the ER almost all day long. I had 10 people waiting for me at
one point, and there are only 6 rooms.

Sunday was a quieter day in the beginning, but of course that meant the evening
was busier than ever, so I got home around 11:20pm that night. The garage door
opener wouldn't work so I got out to manually open the door, and found a note on
the inside door that said to go through the FRONT, not garage door, and come
talk to Jeff RIGHT away.

Our 12 year old beagle, Reuben, had died in the early afternoon. He has
had some liver failure issues in the last 2-3 months, but had treatment, was
never jaundiced, or anything, but was obviously not feeling as well as he had.
He didn't eat well on Saturday, but Jeff said he ate his lunch with gusto on Sunday and
acted normal for awhile after that as well, but then started panting slowly and
just lying around. 15 minutes after that began, he died quietly lying down on
the laundry room rug (right in front of the garage door).

Jeff and the kids dug a deep grave in our backyard flower garden (don't tell the
authorities, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to bury animals in town...),
and at 11:30 Sunday night Jeff and I buried Reuben. I didn't get to sleep until
after 1:30am with all my reminiscing and crying and then of course the danged
storm we had kept me up half the rest of the night. Our sump pump alarm went off while
the power was out for an hour or two, and anyway, I took a TWO hour nap at the
same time as Michael Monday afternoon. TG for afternoon summer camp this week as
Christopher was having a bunch of fun while we slept away. Then there was
another brief storm and I had to wake Michael up to go get C early from camp b/c
it's outdoors.

I love pets, but today of all days I wish they lived longer than they do b/c
it's hard to lose them...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Reuben. *hugs*

Mary Perry said...

Cheri, this still breaks my heart. I miss your Reuben, also. He was a terrific companion, to not only you guys, but everyone else that was that had the pleasure to meet him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Sarah Coggins said...

Cheri, I have tears in my eyes. I am so very sorry for the loss of Reuben. He was very fortunate to have such a wonderful loving family. My thoughts & prayers are with all of you. ((HUGS))

The Mom said...

Just wanted to send some more HUGS!!!

janalee said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Reuben. He was lucky to have you as his family. ((((HUGS))))

Janet said...

Oh, no....I am SO sorry to learn of your dog's passing. Pets are such a huge part of our lives and that makes it extra hard when we lose one. He was certainly a lucky dog to have lived such a long and rich life. {hugs} to you, Cheri!

Fonda said...

Cheri, sorry to hear of your loss. He will live on forever in the pages of your scrapbooks!