Saturday, November 3, 2007

BOO





We could not have asked for better weather this year for "Beggar's Night," that peculiar central Iowa habit of trick-or-treating the day before Halloween. At least we in Ames don't have to tell a silly joke before obtaining the candy as they do in Des Moines. I really don't get that...enlighten me if anyone out there knows how that one got started.
Last year it was thirty degrees out and Michael's nose was so cold, even with a winter coat and mittens on, that our neighbor's thought he was a clown with an artificially red nose. And I promise we only took him around our little circle street. This year it was a balmy sixty degrees...btw, my poor laptop is so broken that the numbers don't usually work...Santa, help help help...anyway, Christopher didn't even have to wear a coat over his thin Batman outfit. Thanks to Pauline for finding him a great costume. Oh yeah, no exclamation point either. I cannot LIVE without an exclamation point on my computer, ARG.
I love how the picture of the ghoul--possibly our neighbor, possibly someone/thing more sinister--turned out. Christopher went up to "it" the first time thinking it was a statue, so he lifted its hand up and let it plop down. The second time he did it the ghoul made scary noises, and I wished I had a videocamera to have recorded C's poor, surprised, happily scared face. By the time I ran home and got the camera and the boys came back to the house, C wouldn't come close enough to touch the ghoul for a picture. But his reflection is in their shiny door, way cool. I wouldn't sing my praises if I'd actually planned it that way, lol.
Michael totally "got" trick-or-treating and was basically trotting around the neighborhood waiting for us to catch up. He did need help ringing doorbells, but covered the trick-or-treat and thank you parts all by himself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you can see from the last picture, Titter wasn't just Batman, but rather something along the lines of Luke Skywalker disguised as Batman (think Luke and Hon Solo wearing Stormtrooper outfits in Star Wars). At least that was the theory - I carried the lightsaber around all evening.

You need to give a special thanks to your mom for the tiger costume. That costume, along with the other similar costumes that she bought even before Titter was born(!), has gotten a lot of mileage over the years! (Ha! My laptop's keyboard works great!!!1!).

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri,
You always get such good pictures!! I think that I need to start reading more and learn how to shoot such awesome pics. I love the picture of Micheal in the tiger outfit, it reminds me of a layout of Christopher that used to hang in the store (sigh...I miss Ames). I love to read your Blog!!
Amber