Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pirate Party






Christopher is a big five years old today! We had his party a week ago on the weekend as I had/have to work last weekend and this. He is "in" to pirates right now, mostly thanks to Scooby Doo Pirates Ahoy. He has also loved a few pirate books from the library, including How I Became a Pirate It was fun doing a "real" theme party:) Michael's party was loosely based on Scooby, but we went all-out for the pirate thing.

Christopher has a pirate coloring book, so we taped up pictures he had colored. We hung black netting from some picture frames in our living room for the nautical theme. I ordered a paper pirate treasure chest and filled it with chocolate and plastic gold & silver coins, pirate eye patches, pirate hats, candy, and geodes for the party favors. C got his own special fabric pirate hat, two plastic pirate swords (which he is sporting in his mouth, true pirate style) He also has a "hook" hand, and wears one rainboot for his peg leg.

Food included an awesome, awesome 3-layer pirate ship birthday cake (from Hy-Vee), carrot "doubloons", pineapple and cheddar "gold chunks", Pirate Booty brand (yes there really is such a thing) air puffs in both white cheddar and mango flavors, other assorted fruits, and fried chicken (pirates love to gnaw on chicken legs you know...that was in the aforementioned book).

And some of the gifts were quite apropos as well. Jeff found an older LEGO pirate ship on Ebay (I'll see if he has a link to a pic, otherwise I can upload my pics of C's). It was a very piraty sort of day:)

11 comments:

Kristina said...

Great pirate photos...did you use a template for your collage?

Cheri said...

I made my own template, and plan to use it again and again:) I know Picasa allows instant collages, but I've had some troubles with the program. I also like how I included the "window framing" so you can easily delineate between the pics. Thanks Kris!:) (Btw, you commented before I even finished my post, lol...I uploaded the pics first to make sure I liked the sizing, etc, and by the time I was done typing my message, you'd already commented).

Suzanne Earley said...

Love all of the pirates. Especially the dog and the baby.

My 2 year old nephew loves Booty. Thought it looked pretty nasty, myself, but it's probably healthier than what I like to eat. LOL

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

Hi Cheri! Saw your question in the JS gallery. Get the Cinzia Loosemore freebie at http://www.digitalfreebies.com/freebies.php

Great pirate cake! You should check out my blog to see what I did in July 2007 for my son's b-day!

Fonda said...

Looks like this was a great party and what a fancy cake!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy (late) Birthday to Christopher! It looks like he had a great pirate party! :)

Cindy

Sarah Coggins said...

What an awesome party! A very happy belated birthday to Christopher! :)

Love the invite & cake. Cracking up at your dog in full pirate costume too. :D

Ann said...

Great theme for the party and great invite. The pictures you took are really cool. :)

Heather said...

Way cool, Cheri! Lucky boy to have you as a mom.

Ann said...

Thanks for the scrapgirls link. LOL but my bingo addiction is a secret!

Janet said...

What an awesome party! Love the photos. They must have had a great time! When DD was little, we did a Peter Pan theme one year...there was a certain pirate element with that party. Good times. Enjoy these years, Cheri!!