Saturday, October 4, 2008

Owls and more Owls


Both of our children have grown up liking owls. Maybe it starts with Clifford's Animal Sounds, where "the cow says Moo, the owl says Whoo" (Michael especially loves that page and says the sound each time). Whoo (heehee) knows. Anyway, I have always thought they were cool too, but was never what you'd call obsessed at all, that is, until recently. Blame Target, I think...(See below).

This past May we attended a "Nocturnal Raptor" lecture at our county conservation park (photo). Michael was fascinated by the live "teacher" owls they brought in, but quickly bored by the lecture itself, so unfortunately Jeff missed a big chunk of the lecture. I learned quite a bit, including the fact that their hearing is so acute b/c their ears are lopsided...one up high, and the other down low. This helps them locate their prey in the dark. An owl's flight is nearly soundless...their feathers simply do not make noise as they swoop down, again, so they can hear their prey.

We even got to dissect an owl pellet, something I remember doing at nature camp growing up (also through a county conservation park). Christopher had a lot of fun with this and insisted we bring the bones home (no arguments here! I think it's cool too.)

Then, very shortly after the lecture, Jeff was putting both boys to bed with the windows open on a nice evening. I was gone to work or wherever, and they heard an owl hooting outside. They were all really excited, especially since the naturalist had imitated several Iowa owls hoots, and they knew they had heard a great horned owl. Later in the summer I awoke around 2am and heard TWO great horned owls hooting (probably a mating call) out the window. Mom called one day and left a message on our answering machine about a very strange noise she heard out her window in the middle of the night...turns out it was a barred owl. Here's a cool website with owl calls: Hoot!

Ok, on to Target:

I could not pass this up...so cute! Read the shirt:) I love to read, and I love owls, AND the shirt was only $5. No one could blame me for this purchase!

The pajama pants are Janet's "fault" ;) She got the shirt, and I "needed" the pants b/c they are just too darned cute.

The slipper, I just don't get...it doesn't look enough like an owl.

Next time I'm motivated, I'll upload links to about a million cute digital SB collections that include owls...

4 comments:

janalee said...

Oh, yeah, I totally need the night owl shirt :) You have a great collection of owl clothing here!

Kristina said...

Well, I for one don't get the whole owl in scrapbooking thing. Just like I didn't get the bird thing either. Whenever I see them in decor, I keep thinking the 70's are going to pop back in.

Janet said...

Cheri, I am sooooo behind in reading your posts! I looked for the t-shirt at our Target and could not find it. It's adorable! I have not seen the slippers, either! I still think we should get together...you in the pants and me in the shirt! ;-)

Janet said...

Oh, forgot to mention that I've been on a few "OWL PROWLS" where you stand in the woods and call them. It's so fun when they respond! Once at a Girl Scout retreat they were looking for someone to lead an owl calling activity. Guess who volunteered? :-)