Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sixth Birthday Penguin Party

Jeff thinks I was the mastermind behind the theme, but Christopher LOVES his "Flippers" penguin and came up with the theme. I just HAPPENED to have seen Janet make a reference to Paper Capers where the mom put on an absolutely fabulous, over-the-top penguin party. So we borrowed most of her ideas and came up with one or two of our own:)



First up in the photo above is Flippers himself, the inspiration behind the party. The one and only time I've ever caved in at checkout at the grocery store:) You can see the stuffed animal section of the florist area from checkout... Then of course is Christopher with his igloo cake. He chose Pillsbury Funfetti cake and we filled the center with vanilla ice cream and frosted with marshmallow frosting (otherwise known as 7-minute frosting). The little penguins are made from black olives (tutorial on Paper Capers site linked above). Then there's me patting William to sleep in his "I'm grumpy and no other position will do" pose:) This photo is included to show you that I have penguin pajama pants a la JCPenneys and I WORE THEM to both parties, lol!:)



First up here we have the gorgeous paper snowflakes Mom made for us to hang on the front room window and living room window for decoration at the party. I'm leaving them up through March, I think:) Not that I don't want spring, but they look awfully cool from the street! Mom also lent us the large penguin in the next picture, the (antique) sugar bowl in which we put goldfish crackers (penguins eat fish you know) and also all the snowflake and penguin tablecloths. 3rd photo is the cake

Next row Christopher and Jeff begin assembling one of a few Lego sets received, next two are Michael leaping IN THE AIR in Jeff's photos. The boys at Christopher's classmate party (mostly not posted b/c don't have parents' permission) spent the last 20 minutes or so playing Wii b/c one boy noticed it and asked and we were out of games, lol. Michael is pretending/confused that he is actually playing, not just watching and holding a spare controller. He kept yelling, "I won, I won!" :)

3rd row: Cream cheese igloo...DIVINE! Love it on the Pepperidge Farms Harvest Wheat crackers (OMG the crackers are delicious alone, too!). Recipe also on Paper Capers blog...I used goat, not Feta, though I like it also. Next is our friend's silly son/alien;) And last are some of the many boys playing at the party.

Whew!

3 comments:

Fonda said...

What a great theme. Looks like it was a great party. Glad you could wear your PJs! Love that bald head, very sweet!

Janet said...

Cheri, you really outdid yourself! I'm a total sucker for themed parties. We used to have them all the time for Bailey. I appreciate all the attention to detail in your penguin party! Great memories for you all! :-)

Kristina said...

How COOL! You guys are awesome! What fond memories Christopher will have of that birthday and party!