Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Interior Design

I LOVE the IDEA of interior design...the reality is a little frustrating. Say what? Well I love it on HGTV when it all turns out perfectly and effortlessly in a nice 30 minute (or 60) time slot. Reality: You almost divorced your husband b/c of all the yelling involved in putting up a wallpaper border in the living room 3 years ago and it scared you off doing any more home improvement projects for a nice long while. Disclaimer: In the highly hypothetical wallpaper scenario above, neither party had worked with wallpaper before. And if we do so again, we might just hire a professional:)

Ok, now that you have the background information necessary, here goes the real story of the day/week/month (yes, I'm finally getting around to blogging this Janalee!!): DH has coveted a flat screen HDTV for a long while now, thwarted by me and my love for our beautiful entertainment center which of course would not accomodate a modern rectangular big screen. Dh won:) Part of his bonus this year went toward a lovely (yes, even I like it) 42" Vizio which he promptly hung on the wall with his dad's help. We now have a very strange blank, recessed wall in our LR with a TV hanging in the middle. All stereo equipment, etc, hangs out on our floor.

A very painful trip to Redekers in Boone ensued, with the resulting fact that no ready-made piece of furniture was going to fit in the hole. Thus enters Top Shelf Cabinetry in Nevada, IA! For a fairly reasonable price IMHO (DH about keeled over), they will build us a custom entertainment center. This just might be the fastest DH and I have ever actually accomplished a major-ish design issue! :)

Here's a layout from 2002 when we had just moved into our home. If you click the image, you can see a much larger version of my poor, beloved entertainment center. The next photo is the ugly hole we live with now. I would love to show you the schematic for the custom piece, but it was emailed to us as a .pdf and I have no idea if I can even save as a .jpg. If anyone is DYING to see it, please email me and I'll forward it to you:) Otherwise, stay tuned. Top Shelf should begin work for us in late April...


5 comments:

janalee said...

Well... ummm... the color behind the TV is interesting...
*grinning* yes I can see why you want to replace that blank wall w/a custom-built entertainment center!

Sarah Coggins said...

You two are brave! I've never tried wallpaper. I do understand the frustrations and arguments that come with these projects. LOL Usually it's me getting hot, angry and saying unkind things. DH is so laid back it takes a LOT to get him going.

Anyhow, great layouts!! I especially love the details in the bottom one. The little paint can lid & stir stick along with the chips & border. Need to jot down those ideas. As I'm sure you can tell from my blog - I have LOTS of remodel / redecorate I could scrap.

Looking fwd to seeing the new entertainment center. :)

Janet said...

Oh, golly! Having suffered thru a few redecorating projects of late, I can surely sympathize. And I don't know about you, but when I start something, I want it done NOW!:-) I'm thinking of making a trip to Boone myself to look for chairs one of these days...Great post, Cheri! Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Kristina said...

Okay....now I remember how your family room is configured and why you were moaning about losing your entertainment center. Your custom piece is going look freaking great there thou.....

Fonda said...

Hi Cheri. Good luck with the furniture, I bet it turns out great! BTW you can open PDFs in Photoshop. It works great.