Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Birthday Fireball aka. "what NOT to do!"





We went to my aunt's surprise 60th birthday party at
my cousin's home a few weeks ago.
Aunt Diane had NO freaking clue until she saw
a couple cars in the driveway that looked familiar
(they told her to expect the neighbors' cars in the
driveway), but still had no idea how many of us would
be there hiding in the basement to jump out at her!

Btw, don't put 60 candles all to one side of the
cake...it becomes an enormous fireball, sets off the
smoke detectors, makes the kids all run for the exits
screaming WE GOTTA GET OUTA HERE, and you ruin a
perfectly good glass of beer extinguishing the
candles, not to mention melting another plastic cup.
Yikes! Then you freeze b/c you gotta open the windows
for awhile to let the smoke out.

Actually that just made the party all the more fun. I had
to poke a little fun at Dad. He just stood back watching
the events play out with the fire. I guess when he retired
from volunteer firefighting, he really retired! My guess is
he'd have whipped out his cell and been the first to dial 911
if it had truly gotten out of hand.

The kids had a fun time too, including a dip in the hot tub
and I got to catch up with my two younger cousins who are at the
University of Iowa (where I went) and have taken
several of the same classes I did.

All photos taken by DH:)

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Sarah Coggins said...

Wow! I can only imagine the laughter everyone had after the fact. Sounds like a fun party. :)

Thanks for the compliment on my laundry closet. It was so worth the effort & money. Hope your DH gets inspired to do the garage. ;)

Ann said...

Oh my gosh what great pictures you got of the cake. That was just too much fun!

Janet said...

Oh, that's a stitch!! Quite the flame she had going there! Looks like a wonderful time.

Janet said...

P.S. Posting a little something for you today on my blog...